Tips for a Successful Garage Sale
1. FIRST OF ALL - Check your local regulations to see if a permit is required and what the sign regulations are.
2. Shoppers more often stop for full tables and large items. Bookcases, dressers, toys, and tools attract traffic. Be ready for the early birds.
3. Dealers and collectors visit sales, so clearly display one-of-a-kind items.
4. Make sure appliances work, and clean everything. Keep some heavy duty extension cords available for appliance testing.
5. 10-30% of retail is a fair price for most items. Tag all items, but be prepared to haggle.
6. Items sorted by size and type and organized on shelves or rack fetch higher prices.
7. Partner with neighbors and split the cost.
8. Check the weather.
9. Make neatly lettered signs to direct traffic to your house.
10. Leftovers: give them away, keep them for another sale, or call a charitable organization for pickup. Keep a list of donated items for your accountant at tax time.